Pikia Forums

The 2D MMORPG of the future

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-09 01:00:02

Hayden
Administrator

What did you like about Aspereta and/or Illutia?

What draws you to this style of game?

I'll start. For me I liked the community of Aspereta. It was relatively small so you got to know everyone and create friendships/rivalries. Combined with the competitive nature of people and having ranking lists it drew me in to train and be in the top ranks.

This works well with the endgame also, since you can keep training to get stronger and stronger which I enjoyed.

#2 2016-07-11 03:56:10

Grant
Administrator

Re: What did you like about Aspereta and/or Illutia?

I liked the small community as well, but I since I never got that far into the endgame the infinite growth never mattered to me. I enjoyed most of the Aspereta maps because they were mostly small and led you through pathways and different rooms. The one huge issue with Illutia I think was the number of large open maps.

Aspereta and Illutia both failed at keeping maps relevant though. A lot of other games fail at this too, but I think we can improve upon it.
Combining high and low level training grounds into one map is one method, but also giving lower level maps economic value by having mobs drop crafting materials would keep the maps more populated and valuable.

#3 2016-07-11 16:53:47

Nojiko

One of the key elements that made Aspereta a total winner in my books was the max level skills. The concept of infinitely increasing your mana/health when your best skills are all based on sacrificing a percentage of your current HP times a multiplier to do damage is just simple and easy to grasp and will always cause you to want to overextend just a little but every time you train.

#4 2016-07-13 05:50:32

Solo

I liked the ranking on the website. The way the customs were done. Also of course stat based skills. I'm driving right now, but basically I loved coming home from school and being excited to play.

#5 2016-07-14 00:04:03

Trashcan

The colors. I posted this in like the first day of Illutia forums, saying how much better the bright colors in Aspereta were, and got shut down by the po-lice truth-denying GMs. Lo and behold, years later they changed the grass to be bright. This game is a cartoon; don't pretend like it's not. Use bright colors.

Lack of sound. I did a lot of music listening to these games.

Bosses mattered economically. I'd wake up at 3AM to run through all the noob bosses I knew about and kill them for sellable drops.

There were learnable patterns for dungeons and bosses. There were safe places to walk, and hidden passages you had to know, and mazes you had to learn your way through.

The existence of customs. It's way cool to color your own armor. I liked that many players "owned" a color that they would deck out their hair and gear in.

The active community. This was a result of a healthy economy, good bosses, dungeons that required grouping, no-limit grinding after level cap, an arena, and frequent community events. Have all of the above if you want a good community in Pikia.

#6 2016-07-17 02:36:16

Beowulf

The graphics and colors of Aspereta were just adorably charming, bright, and detailed enough to make them complex. One thing that bothered me toward the end is just how frequently they reuse/reskin sprites/icons. I get that once you find something that everyone really likes the look of, they'll not settle for anything less cool, but I always looked forward to seeing what the new Boss/Mob/Item/Floor art/Wall art was going to be in the next room/dungeon/place. It's boring seeing the same thing twenty times (lookin' at you, every Magus robe ever).

The stat based attacks are what keep you playing, though, combined with the super high exp/damage ceiling on vanilla rates.
I'd really like to see a handful of training type maps, with faster respawns and no real bosses so that you don't just end up throwing it into a boss-rush cycle and forgetting about it. It really helps lower leveled players to catch up to the higher leveled ones.

EDIT::

Oh! I forgot to mention the special effects on gear/spells! Look, critting and increased spell damage are awesome and all, but applying those kinds of buffs drastically reduces the length of the end game. You can't start out with 10 Spell Crit on items and expect people to not reach 80+% crit before too long. Same goes with spell damage!
Damage Reduction was a really cool idea in Asp, but it just wasn't made to be useful when the Armor Class cap was so low.

Last edited by Beowulf (2016-07-17 02:44:09)

Vanilla Asp: Deana (Magus)
Asp Private Servers: Beowulf (Warrior), Kotama (Priest, Magus, Rogue)

#7 2016-07-18 19:32:11

Nekoi

The prefix/suffix system (which I believe exists in Goose) was pretty good, maybe balance them out so that players can hunt lower level mobs and get some goodies they can use in their early 50's.

The areas limited by EXP sold was also well done, this gave me the incentive to reach that elusive 100m sold mark back then. (When REX and Xain were Asp Gods) It's too bad that there was a reset before I could even have enough sold to cast my Ancient Blessings.

I also liked the finger-keyboard-destroying spellcasting system. Was intense if you are in charge of healing the tank during AD runs. Though maybe this should be changed to clicks instead? I was notorious for healing slow as hell thanks to dial up.

#8 2016-07-19 03:33:52

Grant
Administrator

I have a question for all of you, since we are currently debating between level caps, and no level caps (endless stat growth), and how to balance infinite growth.

The issue with level caps is that you reach the cap, and then you have to wait for the developers to raise the cap so you can continue.

If there is no level cap, then you can keep growing, but if the developers don't continually make new content you will still hit a point where nothing is challenging and you get bored, so what exactly is the difference?

#9 2016-07-19 06:03:31

Nekoi

Would prefer having no level cap as this means you can still bank EXP, compete for higher sold, and wait for content rather than having level caps with absolutely nothing to do. Made me quit a couple games cause content takes way too long to get updated. Hitting that point where nothing is challenging anymore is the goal and that will take a lot of time anyways.

#10 2016-11-20 04:49:25

Maser

Infinite growth.

It was always about the stat based skills, instead of item based play with infinite stat growth. The only thing Aspereta needed was a slightly larger(and more dedicated) Dev team. The infinite growth was a self adjusting system that governed itself. You were only as good as the time you put into your character, 100%. Lets not bring spell damage into the equation, though. That shouldn't exist because it will go down a road of impossible balance issues and it is redundant. Why have infinite growth AND spell damage....it's an unnecessary headache that serves no legitimate, content-enhancing, purpose.

ANYHOO~

New maps have a longer lasting(and renewable) 'ooo shiny' effect when compared to items. An item is only as good as itself. Coral was super badass until everyone had one, and then it was just the normal thing to have. Same with AD Plate/Robe. AD Shields were always badass cause they were useful AND looked super cool on your character. Maps, though, are an adventure that can be revisited and challenge you continuously. They can be expanded with little to no fear of balance issues. A map is a story, and you can keep writing it. An item is a milestone, you reach it and move on.

This was the integral part of the infinite growth mechanic. Aspereta wasn't just personal growth, it was the very atmosphere its infrastructure created. Maps could always be altered and expanded. New stories could come about from old ones, creating a never-ending expanse of a universe that simply needed to continue expanding. Write a new story, keep the player base satisfied. Items were secondary to a new map with stronger monsters and different challenges. Exploration was key. I can't remember how many times I cleared HnF just because it was fun.

I'm starting to ramble, though. I just want to say that the infinite growth mechanic staying the primary focus is what will keep this together. Having a level cap just makes sense. The point is leveling to 50(or whatever) is to get to know your character. After that, it's all about the grind. Go train, get big, wreck the arena, hang out in town/high sold areas. I've never been so satisfied with PvP and community than in Aspereta, because it was based PURELY on my efforts put into my character. And then you get so big you can put the cool clothes on and look badass doing it.

I simply believe Aspereta had a game design that had the potential to outgrow a lot of communities. Just take the skeleton and add everything else.

Aspereta - Maser, Reeco
Illutia - Atrerius/Maser

#11 2017-05-17 04:54:14

Vaiku

Gonna bump this old guy.

Flip/Jack keeps in touch with me once in a while and briefly mentioned in passing that something like this was floating around smile Been a while, Hayden!

I have to agree. I never really went back to logging in to Illutia because there was no nostalgia there.
Aspereta had a great, fun community that has brought several friends that I keep in touch with even today.
I liked the mechanics of the potential to grow your character persistently, and for a lack of better words, I enjoyed the pace. Many games nowadays is simply a gear/knowledge check of fights. In Aspereta/lllutia you could pull off some interesting fights and herds if you were quick thinking.
Early illutia pvp though I would say reigned supreme. I could spend hours in there fighting either 1v1's or guild battles and not get bored. Love love loved it, despite how toxic it could be for "friendships".

In response to the cap vs. no cap, I would say no cap, but perhaps some sort of exponential upper-limit until updates are released. Perhaps if your "10m sold" and fighting in a zone that is meant for "1m" players, the exp you get is cut by half or more. I think the biggest put-off of asp/illutia was the pure grind it'd take to even put up a fight in the arena with the ridiculous grind some people put in. Then i'd prefer caps on rare equipment.
I think the biggest thing I would have loved to see was more diversity in building your characters. Such as rogues building HP fully to be more tanky, or a hybrid of HP/MP to maximize damage. This was a start to diversifying the possibilities, but not quite enough.. A stat system with characteristics like str/dex/int, etc. and a suite of possibilities based on how you spend the exp would be fun.
Combined with a curving of the exp top players can get, I think this would offer more customization then all the "reset my stats, pump HP" that aspereta/illutia turned into.

However, I digress. I mainly came here to say that i'm glad to see you guys aiming to recreate what many people felt was lost along the way in these games! Don't have much time for games nowadays but I'm intrigued, so I'll lurk around once in a while!

Best of luck to you Hayden & Grant.

Last edited by Vaiku (2017-05-17 05:01:13)

Board footer