Pikia Forums

The 2D MMORPG of the future

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-19 06:00:37

Celes

Offtopic but necessary

Hello everyone,

I am SogaCal, CelestialPriest, CelestialOne, Celes, GM Favoritism from Aspereta/Illutia. The other day Illutia was shut down after years of uninterrupted service. I would not be incorrect in saying that all of us are here because of the developers responsible for these two mmorpgs. I for one enjoyed every aspect of the experience, negative and positive, because those experiences influenced my life.

To anyone who isn't sure how to feel from this news, feel free to comment how Aspereta and Illutia affected your life and share how you hope Pikia may grow from the experiences that you had.

Thank you,
Celes

#2 2017-05-20 02:02:03

DragonKnight

Re: Offtopic but necessary

Aspereta was my escape during an important time in my life. I remember spending all night playing, only to realize I had to get on the school bus in 10 minutes. While I trashed my high school education, I made alot of friends, and grew up quite a bit due to my interactions with the mostly awesome community.

Illutia was a huge let down for me, it took me over 6 years off and on to finally get to level 50. And I never got past Greed in VG. The community wasnt as close knit, and many of us had left. However the shutdown has definitely had an effect on me, kind of like a part of me has gone missing.

I hope Pikia can help with this, we all know over the last 2 years Illutia has been languishing. Little to no development due to lack of funds and/or volunteers, I hope that Pikia has a strong future and doesnt suffer the same failings (I have faith it won't!).

Aspereta:Dragonknight
Illutia:Dragonknight
Oh I guess my sig isnt really needed lol.

#3 2017-05-20 21:52:15

Maser

Aspereta was my first and most favorite MMORPG. It had everything someone could want. The community was awesome, the gameplay was endless and the PvP was a lot of fun. Aspereta also served as my escape from my household, which was a very bad environment at the time. I was constantly bullied at school and got into fights very often, home life was terror and I had no idea what to do about any of it. People were nice to me on Aspereta, I had friends. They asked me where I was if I didn't log on and they cared about talking me through my problems, as I cared about helping them too.

Harli, Geminia, Rylar, Nelina, Eternity, Yuna, Insanity, RT, DoA; they all saved me. Most of all, Harli.

Illutia, though. I have terribly mixed feelings when it comes to Illy. Everyone was excited, no one thought it was gonna tank. The gameplay pre-50 was cool. Then you hit 50 and it was just downhill. Item based, no EXP selling yet. The first few of us to hit 50 just lost all our momentum and slowly began to hate the game. On top of that, a large majority of the people who were most active in the game were the trolls from Asp. Us oldbies began to log on less and less, and the trolls just freaking took over. Illy community became toxic as all hell. I hated it.

Some may say that Asp community was toxic as well. Asp definitely had its issues when it came to solds. Especially when it came to AD. The cliques were evident. The difference, though, was that Asp had guilds like RT and DoA that endeavored to help others. Illy became so toxic it was like a constant Mexican standoff. You couldn't get anything done unless you chose a side. If you didn't choose a side, have fun training by yourself. And once you chose a side, have fun being KOS'd for trivial reasons by people you don't even know. I normally wouldn't have a problem with that kind of behavior, but in Illy it was 24/7/365. There was no freaking escape from the drama. Illy was absolutely drowned in intense drama that spanned across the entire community like some ongoing incest. It was ruined for me.

TL;DR
Aspereta was amazing
Illutia was cool at first and then continuously became worse

Aspereta - Maser, Reeco
Illutia - Atrerius/Maser

#4 2017-05-23 03:48:47

Grant
Administrator

Aspereta was one of the first online games I played, and despite its simplicity, the game really drew me into the world/community, and led me to play many other MMORPGs. I certainly wasn't as involved in the community as many of you were, and maybe you don't remember me at all, but Aspereta and Illutia both left an impression on me which is why I'm here working on Pikia.

It's hard to describe, but the feeling while playing Aspereta or Illutia was different from your typical big box MMO (WoW or Guild Wars). Many of the Aspereta maps with winding hallways and invisible pathways just can't be reproduced in a 3D game, and the focus on community and events was definitely apparent in Aspereta and earlier in Illutia. One thing I wish Illutia has less of were those big open maps that were nearly empty, and more maps like Maloha Temple and the Imp Cave.

With Pikia we are really trying to bring back the small community and quirky interesting maps, items, and monsters that Aspereta/Illutia had, while also adding more depth to the gameplay by taking ideas from larger MMOs, and making up some of our own.

The problems facing Pikia will mainly revolve around content creation until we have a considerable amount complete and players aren't constantly reaching the end of the new content. Since both Hayden and I are developers, adding new features will not be an issue, so I hope everyone will continue to be patient as we start focusing on figuring out the game content/artwork.

For nostalgia purposes here is a screenshot I have from Aspereta after I bought the last piece of this blue robe set (what was it called?). tongue
C21yBlo.png

#5 2017-05-23 07:40:56

Nekoi

^ That would be the Whirling Set.

Oh shit. RT as in Raging Tigers? I was in the guild on my way to 50, then I transferred to Tigerlily's guild. Emerald Ascension or w/e.

What was fun about Asp was the EXP based dungeons in Paradise. I never had enough sold to enter any of the Winter Heights maps, was so excited when I finally hit 100m, all thanks to my training bitch Hayden. Then it was AD2. It was so fun especially if any of the AspGods were online, one time I witnessed a party doing Generals when Xain came and killed their tank. Shit was so hilarious.

Hopefully some of us oldies would be around to play with each other again. I made many friends as well as enemies in Asp. But I wouldn't want it any other way. See you online noobs! big_smile

#6 2017-05-24 01:17:12

Maser

Sup Nekoi,

Yea I was in RT for the vast majority of my Asp time. I'm pretty sure we were in at the same time, for a short while. I definitely remember seeing your name in guild chat. I started out as a founding member of DoA, with Purg. After a little while I hopped over to RT, though.

I remember Tigerlily and her main man...Aerayn? Airaiyn? Ayrain? Can't remember that Warrior's name, but it was spelled oddly. Her husband, right? Man those two ruled the game for a long time, till Ajnin became super beast, and then the constant power upheaval began.

AD2 was fun shit. I was never high enough sold(only about 170ish) to actually do anything in AD2. But damn was AD2 a freaking heavy scene of action. That shit was awesome.

Me and Eternity were grind partners and hit up the Para dungeons a lot. I definitely feel ya when it comes to the endless fun you could have in Paradise. And then everyone rushes to AD for the Warr and 1337 respawns for badass EXP. Also the times when the server crashes and its the mad rush for AD bosses and everyone's PMing you "I need :insert any AD item here: if it drops can you keep for me plz!?!?!!?!?" or "group plzplzplz i rly ned ad gear!!!". That shit was annoying, especially when you try to give the gear away and no matter what you do, most of the people there end up hating you in the end lol Damn AD was some drama.

Even still, the one thing that pissed me off more than anything in the game, ever, was this: Priests wouldn't even look my way until I was high enough sold to handle AD Warrs. One day, though, they see me duo'ing AD1 bosses with Eternity and those same fucking priests start msging me everyday to grind. The same fucking priests that literally said to me "You're not high enough sold to train with me." Fucking double standards. Won't help low solds, but they want their low sold ass to be helped. What a joke. Those double standards made me work harder to help low solds, cause I remembered the struggle!

Man I miss Asp.

Aspereta - Maser, Reeco
Illutia - Atrerius/Maser

#7 2017-05-24 08:20:33

Nekoi

Yeah I remember seeing your name too, though that was maybe after the reset? I think her husband was a Magus at the time? Whatever that was so long ago. Also I remember Ajnin used to be Demonizer, cause everyone idolized REX. big_smile
I also remember Armonia being a lowly below 20mil sold, then she got stronk af. I played with her on a couple of private servers as well.

I can't even remember the majority of my training partners except Hayden of course. Trained briefly with code (Top 5 Rogue at the time) and a multitude of random ass Warriors. Every time I log on I get spammed with "WANNA TRAIN??" PM's. Though it's definitely fun training with low solds since I can just cast AH once or twice and they're back to full HP versus the high sold ones. And being on dial up meant I healed slowwww. tongue
It kinda paid off after the reset since some of the low solds I helped back then remembered me. <3

Everywhere is drama, you literally have no chance of getting strong unless you are tightly knit with the cool kids.

You guys remember Boim the Silent? He was fun.

#8 2017-09-15 00:04:58

Nazir

I remember you Nekoi!
We used to train together with kkeekke the rogue yikes

And running away from pie who keeps killing people in the arena

Last edited by Nazir (2017-09-15 00:05:08)

#9 2017-12-12 22:35:41

gamael

Hey everyone,

I am Gamael, Sariel, Cailthria, Sebastian

I started playing Aspereta after I quit everquest. I was forced to quit everquest by my parents because they wouldn't pay the subscription fee anymore. I often think back on Aspereta and remember being a nooby warrior. I have a hard time remembering back that far but I just barely made it into AD when the game went down. Like I said, I was a noob lol.

When Illutia came up I was excited. So excited in fact that I quickly became one of the top solds by being a priest for ishi. For a brief moment I was 2nd highest sold. After a while things got boring. The item based system was annoying and the impact of being high sold just wasn't there. So I hoped for the future and took a break. Came back to my sold being still high but not anywhere near the highest. I ran all the high sold maps and still it was more of the same. Got new spells and stuff but it was all still the same as the beginning. I was really disappointed with the game. I see that Pikia is taking a while to get on its feet. I hope it turns out well. If there is anything I can do please let me know. I have some experience programming and with servers. I also have experience with algorithm development. I can't help a lot financially but if you do need help with that talk to me off-line about it. E-mail me at my registered email. If you cannot see it just message me on here and I will give it to you.

#10 2017-12-15 00:54:40

Nekoi

Hi Nazir!

Definitely remember you and kkeekke, you were a Magus if I recall correctly?
Hoping to see other familiar faces when this game takes off. smile

#11 2018-01-08 14:52:03

bankai

Does anyone has a asp or illutia private server, i heard theres one floating around here somewhere?? I tried the one on goosefourms but it only says "waiting for logging connecting" forever. Not sure if its down or what. Note i did change the IP and port to what was posted. Just looking for some good old nostalgia

#12 2018-01-15 00:14:21

Ajnin

wow....hmmm

#13 2018-01-18 06:31:18

Beowulf

Hello, everyone. Deana (original Asp) / Beowulf/Kotama (private servers) here.

I hosted an Asp private server for a while, and would be willing to do so again. I don't want to take any players from Pikia once it gets off the ground, but I wouldn't mind setting Asp up for a while until then. I just rebuilt my computer, so it'll take me a little bit to get it running again (have to find the files, etc).

I'll repost here when it happens. Shouldn't be more than a week or so (work/etc).

Vanilla Asp: Deana (Magus)
Asp Private Servers: Beowulf (Warrior), Kotama (Priest, Magus, Rogue)

#14 2018-01-18 07:26:29

Celes

Hey Deana, good to see you. If you'd like to help Pikia, send some artists their way. Would be cool to have an original game to play with oldbies.

#15 2018-01-22 14:19:24

Grant
Administrator

To reiterate what Celes has said, what we need the most right now is help from a reliable artist. We are not looking for people to work for free, and will definitely pay them, but it is hard to find good artists who enjoy working on these kind of projects. In the meantime we will continue doing what we can with free/programmer artwork, haha. tongue

#16 2018-01-22 15:22:16

Beowulf

Celes wrote:

Hey Deana, good to see you. If you'd like to help Pikia, send some artists their way. Would be cool to have an original game to play with oldbies.

Afraid I don't know anyone or anything regarding art. I can barely draw a stick figure.

Vanilla Asp: Deana (Magus)
Asp Private Servers: Beowulf (Warrior), Kotama (Priest, Magus, Rogue)

#17 2018-04-10 10:55:31

Realm

Hey everyone.. I was MMage/Neverdies on Asp and Realm/Volkorr on Illutia. I started playing Asp in the 6th grade it was amazing the first online game I had played and I loved it. Me and my friends would play all night until it was time for school then talk about training in school. Kraaaazy. Illutia was fun for me too in the early days I was hooked and had no time for any other game but I was getting older playing sports and eventually in 2009 I joined the military.. didn't have much time to play until about 2 years ago but there wasn't many people online.. sad to hear about it going down I can really say the best times I've had *online* at those times was on Aspereta/Illutia

#18 2018-06-13 12:18:06

Diseased

Damn.....So many Old ass players in here!! I'm sure none of you remember me, Rosen/Fargol from Asp, Diseased/Celeron/Rosen from Illutia.....90% sure Beowulf was one of my primary grind partners in Paradise. Man....I hope I can either play this game or eventually tag along with you guys on a private server and catch up!!! And No love for MM? lol or Punchy's? Many hours spent grinding with BarnacleBoy.

Board footer