Pikia Forums

The 2D MMORPG of the future

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-18 20:39:31

Maser

Client DevBlog 17

I don't know how to otherwise label it lol

Ok so spell targeting. First time I've ever really playtested so please bear with me as I try to organize this.

Spells can target and damage self and other players(basic attacks cannot damage other players)
Spell targeting memory retains its location even after walking away from the target(or if they walk away from you).
Spell targeting memory auto-targets spawn location when changing maps.
Cannot change spell targeting location if distance becomes too far from target, even if there are new targets in range to move target box.
Targeting range seems like its an odd shape. It's not screen-wide, definitely a smaller area and does not feel like a box.
Targeting range and cast range feel different.

Ranges are very difficult for me to test since the targets are mobile. Will have to wait to test with another player. That's all I got for now.

Aspereta - Maser, Reeco
Illutia - Atrerius/Maser

#2 2016-12-19 16:18:34

Grant
Administrator

Re: Client DevBlog 17

Thanks for the detailed report Maser. We are definitely aware of the targeting bugs and are working on those.
Spell targeting memory should only remember the target if it is still in range and not dead. In all other cases we will make it reset to yourself.

I will think about skill target range again, maybe we should just allow all skills to target the whole screen. My original thought was that the stronger the skill gets, the farther it can target, but it's hard for players to visualize the target range unless we draw it on-screen.

Again, thanks for testing. smile

#3 2016-12-28 16:50:06

Grant
Administrator

I wanted to update this thread to keep track of progress. All the bugs you mentioned should be fixed.

We are working on a solution to the targeting range confusion which should make it a lot easier for players to understand.

#4 2016-12-29 00:24:03

Maser

1. Spells can target and damage self and other players(basic attacks cannot damage other players)
Haven't tested with anyone else yet

2. Spell targeting memory retains its location even after walking away from the target(or if they walk away from you).
Targeting resets appropriately

3. Spell targeting memory auto-targets spawn location when changing maps.
Fixed

4. Cannot change spell targeting location if distance becomes too far from target, even if there are new targets in range to move target box.
Fixed

5. Targeting range seems like its an odd shape. It's not screen-wide, definitely a smaller area and does not feel like a box.
So from what I can tell its range 15...kinda? Its not a 15x15 box, nor a 15 range diamond. Its like its a broken box, with some pieces missing. Its very difficult to get a proper reading on the actual range when you start going diagonal.

Also, when traveling at an angle away from the target, you can retain cast range for a good distance. Walking out of range resets it to your character as normal. Walking one step back into range does not allow you to reacquire the target. You have to walk two steps back into range to reacquire.

6. Targeting range and cast range feel different.
These feel synced up now

New:

7. Blueflame cast targeting(targets hit on cast).
It only hits 3 units but has an AoE of a 3x3 box. Also, the targets it hits are not random. Its targeting is telegraphed if I am surrounded. If I'm surrounded on all 4 sides and I target the unit to the east of me, blueflame will then subsequently strike the units North/South of me. Target West, it hits North/South If I target myself, it will then target the units Northeast/Northwest. If There are no units there, it won't target anything else except the primary.

Edit: Ok, blueflame hits like an SOS minus the second box in front. So if  you were to SOS and hit like a blueflame, it'll only strike the first box in front and the two boxes diagonal

Last edited by Maser (2016-12-29 01:04:41)

Aspereta - Maser, Reeco
Illutia - Atrerius/Maser

#5 2017-01-07 05:47:39

Hayden
Administrator

5. Targeting range depends on the skill, Blueflame starts at 10 range and increases by 1 for each level. It should be a square box around your character. In the future we will add something so you can see what is in range or not.

7. Blueflame at level 5 hits in an X shape

Board footer